In actuality I didn’t want to take the car because I didn’t
want to be a huge burden. Plus my American
self doesn’t like to accept help, as I’ve been properly cultured to be
self-sufficient and independent. But my West African travels have taught me
that my American independence can be puzzling – and that I just look odd when
I struggle at something silently and alone without letting somebody help. (An
important distinction may be that Americans think in terms of “asking” for help,
not in terms of “letting” others help.) Anyhow, Sarah took it as a compliment
that I asked to tag along, and seemed to think it was a riot that I wanted to
walk.
That said…roads in Freetown are terrifying. They are steep, they are
cobbled and uneven, strewn with debris, the curbs have all broken away, and
traffic is heavy. While jumping out of the way of a UN pathfinder I stepped in
something foul. So. I will not be venturing down these roads by foot again
anytime soon, and I gladly hopped in the car for the ride back. I have Peace Corps roots, and I won't forget them. I'll keep getting out and seeing things. But I'm not going to be the Pentheus standing in something gross on the side of the road, enviously watching all the Dionysians zip by in their air conditioned SUVs.
2 comments:
Reading your last two updates was quite an enjoyable detour of my afternoon. The strapping youth-assisted navigation ending on your last one - truly Sophia-style, and excellent. The CoF Symposium is happening at the moment - I am losing my enthusiasm steam as the day progresses, which I'm blaming on a delicious camping trip to the coast the other day. Another hour and a half before I present, so I just poured some more tea.
Anyhow, sending you some CoF love and presentation celebratory vibes. Glad you're settling in.
You GO, Peace Corps girl. I love it that you walked & people recognized you for what you are. Awesome.
Post a Comment