In case you are unaware, Freetown is just breathtakingly beautiful.
The city is built around one of the world’s largest natural harbors, and rises
up into mountains which surround the bay. This means that from just about
anywhere in the city you have a beautiful view. I mean anywhere. Earlier this
afternoon I went out with STEWARD staff to run some errands, and we drove through
one of the city’s shanty towns – a collection of tin, cardboard, and haphazard
wiring, all built precariously upon a river of human refuse and garbage. Tangent:
as we drove through, my new friends informed me that the government has been
trying to relocate residents of this particular slum for some time – with renewed
vigor following last year’s cholera outbreak. I am told that the new mayor went
so far as to build new and free housing elsewhere - but rather than physically move,
residents who were “relocated” simply sold or rented their new homes, and
stayed put in the slum. By now entire generations have grown up in this area,
and the situation is just too complex for simple solutions. It reminds me of the
movie “Beasts of the Southern Wild,” which you all should see. Anyhow, my
point: even though each ramshackle hut looked ready to slip down the
mountainside and into the bay, each and every dwelling had a million dollar
view. I’m always struck by such juxtapositions.
Speaking of juxtapositions, the Freetown airport serves as a
rather remarkable confluence of organized global systems and highly innovative and
adaptive local enterprise. I should mention that the airport is located across
the bay from Freetown, in a town called Lungi. Driving around the bay, given
the state of the roads, would be an 8 hour journey. Not surprisingly, most
people arriving at the airport (who can afford it) opt to ferry across the bay.
I use the term “ferry” quite liberally. A better term would be speed boat. The 30
minute trip costs 40 US dollars, and I have fished off of larger boats. But let’s
back up. Arriving in the Freetown airport, travelers first pass through
immigration, collect luggage, and clear customs. It’s a hectic but organized
system. There are lots of airport employees, police, and people with roles that
are still unclear to me, who will all shout where to go if you are confused. I’m
not sure they really eliminate any confusion, but they are there, and they are loud. By far my favorite part of immigration
and customs was watching a large golden-retriever walk up and down the moving baggage
carousel, and joyously climb over and sniff all the bags. I am 80% certain that
he was a drug dog, but you just never know. Before he got onto the carousel he
was rolling around on his back, grunting, and enticing people to scratch his
belly.
Anyhow, once outside of the airport, organization gives way
to chaos. The river of travelers finally joins with the ocean of humanity in
which rules change fluidly. Within steps of exiting the airport, travelers are
engulfed by enthusiastic water taxi-men, none of whom are actually working for
a water taxi, but all of whom will offer to help you navigate the process for a
small fee- unfortunately their presence makes the entire process more difficult
to follow. Having arrived at this airport before, I knew to quickly make my way
to the actual ferry ticket counter, where I purchased my ticket, and boarded a
waiting bus (tro-tro). Other travelers were not so efficient, and got trapped
inside a mass of aggressive helpers. While they tried to elbow their way to the
bus, I watched a little basenji dog wrestle with a monkey underneath a palm
tree and felt generally content.
Eventually the bus filled, and we bounced down a dirt road to
the beach, where our speedboat was waiting. Since I last arrived in Freetown,
the water taxi company has built a dock. So getting on the boat was actually pretty
uneventful. In the past, travelers were carried through the waves and put into
the boat, which was much more hilarious. I won’t be able to do the scene
justice, but imagine foreign dignitaries, World Bank employees, and wealthy
mining executives, all in their nicest suits and shiniest European shoes, being
piggy backed through the ocean and hefted into a speed boat by strapping youths
with some serious body odor. No matter who you are, no matter how big or important
you are, you must accept a piggy back ride if you want to get to Freetown. Or at
least you did, until they built a dock. I’m sure the dock comes as welcome
relief to the water taxi-men, lots of “big men” are actually quite literally big
men. I don’t imagine it is pleasant to carry them through turbulent waves.
I got into the boat just fine, and as we jetted across the bay
the sun set. A STEWARD car met me at the landing, and deposited me at the guest
house, where I nearly passed out with fatigue. I spent most of today organizing
myself, and then went to town with a couple of helpers to take care of basic
tasks (exchange money, purchase phone, buy some delicious fresh fruit). It’s
nice to get out and start looking around. I look forward to exploring the city
more - as we ran errands I was able to see the infamous cotton tree, beneath
which Freetown was founded. Freetown, like many cities in Africa, was ‘founded’
by former slaves who were sent back across the Atlantic following their emancipation
(in America and the Caribbean mostly, hence the strong Creole culture). Legend
has it that the first freed slaves who arrived in Freetown made their way up
the beach to the first bit of shade they could find – a cotton tree. Beneath the
cotton tree they gave thanks for their freedom and safe passage. The tree still
stands at the center of Freetown, in front of the Department of Justice. I am
told that political leaders still say prayers beneath it, in the hopes that it
will provide them with peace and strong leadership.
Well that about wraps it up for today. Thanks for reading! I’ll
sign off with the hope that we are all able to find patches of soothing shade
in which we can be joyous and thankful for the good things in life… and if it’s
not too much, perhaps some strapping youths to help us navigate turbulent
waters.
No comments:
Post a Comment