I’ve decided that a post devoted to Haba, and Haba alone, is
long overdue. Who is Haba? Formally, he is a STEWARD driver. He picked me up at
the airport ferry in Freetown, then showed up the next day to help me get a
phone, and to assist with my orientation into Freetown. He later drove me and
Susan through Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Cote d’Ivoire, and has since returned
to drive me and my research team (of Guineans) back through Cote d’Ivoire,
Guinea, and Sierra Leone. So he has pretty much been by my side since I’ve been
here, except for a week when he left to take Susan back to Freetown so she
could catch her flight back to the states.
When Haba left to take Susan back to Freetown, I felt pretty
sad (to make a huge understatement). Because Haba is so so so much more than a
driver. He is my most trusted cultural adviser. He handles sensitive community
introductions for me. He knows where to go. He knows where not to go. He knows things
like how much money it is appropriate to give a village that has just lost a
beloved leader. He knows whose hand I need to shake. He knows how to talk his
way through disgruntled border police who want money. But aside from cultural
advice – he also takes care of (just about) my every need. He procures food, as
well as people to prepare food. He knows how much rice I need to buy to feed 5
people in the field for a week. When it comes to purchases- Haba bargains down
everything I attempt to buy, and he insists on carrying it back to the car.
Plus he lovingly feeds and waters the chickens we have been lugging around (for
dinners), because he knows that I don’t like to see the chickens stressed out.
Haba even knows that the big Lobi chicken (given as a gift by the chief of the
Lobi in Bouan Houe) is my favorite chicken. It is his favorite chicken too,
because the Lobi keep very fat and beautiful roosters. The Lobi rooster is
magnificent. Much more beautiful than the Mossi or the Yacouba or the Senoufou
roosters we were given. (The Lobi chicken is so beautiful that we might not eat
it. We might just bring it all the way to Freetown, and buy it a lady friend.
Haba will then breed his own Lobi birds, and remember me as they hatch.) Haba knows
what I am trying to say when I sputter out what may or may not actually be
French - and he helps me figure out how to properly say what I mean. But most
important of all, Haba has a fabulous laugh, and we spend most of our car rides
together laughing. And he is there to give me a great big bear hug me at the
end of the day.
Part of our special bond comes from the fact that one
afternoon I casually joked that Haba was like my Guinean father, because he is
always taking care of me. This opened the door to a very deep and even more meaningful
friendship, one that Haba takes very seriously. The African concept of family
is liberal, and generous, and never taken lightly. Thus, Haba does not take his
role as my Guinean father lightly. He is my protector. He already was my
protector, but since assuming the role of my Guinean father, he is like my
personal body guard. He gets very very upset when something happens that might
disturb me. When it rains, he ensures that I have a hot bucket bath, and he
runs to bring me my raincoat. He makes sure that all my favorite foods are
always prepared for me. His wives cooked fufu for me in N’Zerekore, because
Haba knows that I like Ghanaian food. His children were ecstatic that I was
finally coming, because he spent so much time talking about me. When I arrived,
they came running enthusiastically across the yard to hug my legs (when most
children scream in horror at me, or simply point and yell Fotay or some other
version of “white lady”). Coming to Haba’s house was like a true homecoming.
Very recently Haba gave me a Guinean name. He thought about
what name he should give me for several days. He eventually settled in on
“Seny” - so now I am introduced as “Seny
Haba” - much to the delight of every Guinean I meat. In Gersay (Haba’s native
tounge), Seny means gold. I love it. It fits. And it is a big honor. This is
one of the finest names you can be given. When people hear that I have been
given this name, they are impressed, and they comment what a fine fine name I
have. Haba said the name just came to him, and he knew it was the right name.
When I told him that I was born in a town with a lot of Gold mining, he was not
surprised, it just helped explain why Seny was the right name for me.
I don’t know what I did to deserve Haba, but I feel very
lucky. And I don’t know what people do who don’t have Habas to help them
navigate Guinea.
| Me and Haba in Madina Oula |
1 comment:
awww, Sophia. How lucky. This is so touching and wonderful.
Post a Comment