Saturday, September 16, 2006

You say goodbye... but I say Hello!

Hello Hello!

So it's that time... that time to start saying my goodbyes. After careful consideration I decided the classiest way to do this was through mass email. Yes. Classiest/least amount of effort. Something like that. Well regardless of my methods, the important thing to convey is that in some way or another all of you have been part of my life, and I'll be taking memories of you along for the ride.

For those who have not made my comings and goings a top priority in your life (which I really struggle to imagine) I am preparing to depart for my Peace Corps assignment. Perhaps you have come across their motto: "Life is calling, where will you go?" Well it turns out, given the chance, they will also provide an answer. (How convenient.) I will be spending the next two years in Ghana, West Africa working as an Agro forestry and Alternative Livelihoods facilitator. I don't know much more, but am excited to sufficiently turn my world upside down again, and see what happens when the dust begins to settle.

Now I don't mean to brag, but I'm actually rather remarkable at tracking down computers while abroad. An internet bloodhound, some say, sniffing out computers in the most unlikely of locations. And regardless of those locations I have never balked from using the said computer, though one very unfortunate incident comes to mind as having very nearly driven me away. (Involving a full grown partially deranged and violently barking human individual, as well as an office of wall-street day traders. A story for another time.) All this brings me to my main point: I'd like to hear from many if not all of you over the next two years. So don't hesitate to email, I'll gladly suffer what is necessary to email back.

In addition, I find that by twisting my experiences into succinct little anecdotal updates, I am able to retain a great deal more of my sanity. I imagine every few months I'll find time to email, and invite you all to either enjoy them, or trash them. In the end, I'm really writing more for me, so I won't be offended. The Juneau Empire has also invited me to share my experiences in a bi-monthly/monthly column (I'm still deciding which is more practical) so you might catch those if you are in Juneau.

No comments: